Subject: AMG www site... (SMTP Id#: 40510) -Repl
From: <[email-masked]> (ALAN LLOYD )
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Aug 31 08:56:58 1995

Adrian Onsen wrote:

> "...how the shockwave effect was done in Star Trek VI."

Hi Adrian: Here's a recalled message (had it in my list archive)
from Ken Van Brocklin re: Explosive shock waves...

(included archived message)
--------------------------------------
I am not shure how Amblin does there shock waves, but I have done
a couple on some of my animations. 
I morphed a simi transparent sphere, and in one case a simi
transparent Toroid, (doughnut) with the center removed.  Make one 
object small enough to fit inside your planet or inside the blast
center. Save it as shockwave. Then copy the shockwave object and
increase the size until the front of the schockwave goes through
the camera position a little bit. Kill (K key) the polygons so
all that is left are points, and save it as shockwave.target. 
For surfacing, I used a faint fractial pattern with different
velosities in all directions to give it some life.
 In layout, set-up the morph to move as fast as you can. 10 or 15
frames should work. (if your camera is lightyears away you may
need to add more frames) Use motion blur with a blur length
around 75 to 85% to make things happen smooth.  For the final
touch you may want to add a astoroid or a small ship near the
camera to get blown away when the schock wave arrives. When the
shockwave  gets to the camera, give it a little shake and 
dissolve out the schockwave once its past the camera.

 I hope this helps.

"Ken VanBrocklin" <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]

(end included message)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Lloyd                                              
[email-masked]
>> All standard disclaimers apply.  Non-standard disclaimers
   available on request.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
<[email-masked]>  (ALAN LLOYD ) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]